Friday, July 3, 2009

What I'm suppose to be doing

It's an age old question I never have an answer for. What am I suppose to be doing with my life - all of it, whether that being relationship, work, school, finances, and God. A friend was talking to me the other day about being twenty in our twenties and how in a sense life is suppose to be figured out in our twenties.

I never thought about it before now, but, really, people do expect you to get everything together in your twenties. You are suppose to, as society says, get a job, graduate from college, get married, start having babies, buy a house, travel, take up a hobby, find out your true self in religion, and make important life decisions on love - ALL in your twenties. Then at 30 you have it all together and you enjoy life with your house, your kids, your job, your pets, you lover, your hobbies and your Aug. trips to the beach or Dec. trips to the mountains. THEN at age 40 you have a crisis because you suddenly realized that your kids are leaving, your pets are dying, your bed room romance is dwindling and you worry that you've spent way to much time in your 20s trying to figure everything out and not taken time to enjoy it. So you have your midlife crisis and you do many things - drop weight fast, dye your hair, take up a new hobby because the old one is bad, cheat on a husband (let's hope not), but a new animal, occasionally get pregnant (has happened). Then at 50 you just calm down because you realize that all you can do is ride the wave of life and enjoy what you have left - like grand kids.

And to think, all of this drama and confusion and fast paced life style of figuring out life starts in our twenties.

Why do I have to be 21 - 22 in a week. Why now? To be older would give me a little more money and hopefully a job. But instead I'm stuck at the turning point in my twenties and scared to death on how I'm suppose to handle all the things in life. Such as unemployment and the desire to make the correct decision that others will support.

My purpose for this blog is to discuss being in my twenties - the biggest trying time in my life as I learn myself and my place in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment